Friday, July 30, 2010

Erika's Birthday Cake

Today is Javier's sister, Erika's 25th birthday. I decided to make her a cake. It is a chocolate butter cake and buttercream frosting. Both recipes I took from the America's Test Kitchen Cookbook, which is quickly becoming my go-to book for many of my recipes.

The cake was easy to make although I made a pretty big mistake when adding the sugar to the chocolate mixture, I added it all and did not see where it said add 1/4 cup. Ooops!!! I did not want to waste all that chocolate and make other trip to the store so I just let it be and added just a little more sugar to the rest of the recipe. I was worried about an overly sweet cake, but it came out fine and really moist!! (Thanks again to freezing it).

I love buttercream frosting (with butter not shortening) but this recipe tasted like pure butter. It uses very little sugar. So I added powdered sugar to it and Voila! Deliciousness. But still pretty rich. I designed it with Erika in mind, the colors, the flowers, and something a little modern with the dot border. I think she liked it. Oh, and I added a Bavarian cream filling. Overall a successful cake with few mishaps, although when we ate it at the Olive Garden they threw away the box! So we had to bag it home. Hopefully it got there in one piece :)

Happy Birthday Erika!!


The ingredients . . .

Making sure they come out evenly . . .

building the frosting dam . . .

filling the dam with Bavarian cream . . .


2nd layer . . .








Javier's amazing outdoor shots . . .

Yay! Erika!!!

We did pretty good for 5 people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment