Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Class #3: Cupcake Night

Tonight marks the 3rd cake class and the halfway point of this beginning series. I can't believe how fast it is going by. I have been majorly stressed with school work this week. It is our "finals" week and I have so many projects to wrap up, I have been really overwhelmed so it was nice to get away for a couple of hours and do something fun.

I baked 12 "Brooklyn Blackout" cupcakes. I got the recipe from Ann Byrns Cupcakes! from the Cake Mix Doctor. It was really easy to make and they baked up in about 20 minutes, which was awesome since I have been so busy. I also make a double batch of buttercream icing with numerous colors. Oh and don't mind the soccer cupcake papers, they were leftovers from the World Cup and I needed to use them up!

Class was a lot of fun tonight. I think we are all becoming very comfortable with each other, which is really nice. I hope the same girls take the next intermediate class too. Everyone was cracking jokes and just having a good time. One girl, Valerie, made apple pie cupcakes for us to nibble on as we decorated.

Tonight we learned how to do a shell border, a dot border, hearts, drop flowers, make clowns, baby buggies, bears, balloons, ladybugs, caterpillars, and just had a chance to experiment with the tips. I did not bring the camera to class, but here are the after pictures. Enjoy! You can tell which pics I took, and then which ones Javier did. I just wanted to get this posted.

Oh and we learned to fill cupcakes too! I used Bavarian cream for my chocolate cupcakes.


All the frosting colors!

All the cupcakes together :) The clowns were so tall they smashed as I closed the lid.
Bear (I took this pic)
Drop Flowers and Balloon (Javier took the rest of these pics)
Lady Bugs!
Clowns (I know they are a little scary)
The trio.
How Pretty!
Baby Buggy (that is supposed to be a pacifier in the mouth!)
The filling, yum!

3 comments:

  1. Ohh I like the ladybugs . . . but then again I have a thing for ladybugs! And yes the clowns are a little scary, but I must say - as always - I am impressed. If the second career as a librarian doesn't work out you could always open a bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cecily!! If you are ever here on your birthday, I'll be sure to make you some ladybus cupcakes or a ladybug cake :)

    ReplyDelete