Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Intermediate Cake Class #2: Chocolate Wrapped Cakes

Today was my second Intermediate Cake Class. My first one we learned how to make royal icing flowers but we did not make a cake so I did not have any pictures to share. Tonight was a different story! Pictures galore! We learned how to make chocolate wrapped cakes. It was so much fun and a skill I will surely put to use in the future.

We made two 6" cakes for this class. I decided on chocolate since I was already making a chocolate cake for another cake order. I used the recipe from the America's Test Kitchen CookBook and used good quality Valhrona Dutch Processed Cocoa. This cake came out moist, rich, and oh so tasty! For one cake I put a mango puree filling that I bought, and the other was a Nutella Hazelnut filling.

I chose dark chocolate and a white chocolate discs to use for my cakes. I wanted them to look more elegant and fancy. The first one I made was a swirl design and the second was a flower solid wrap. These were fun and pretty easy to make once you got the process down. I also took pictures of the other student's cakes with my new HTC Aria phone. It takes better pictures than my Canon point and shoot. I would never take Javier's camera to class, it is just too scary for me! I would hate to get frosting or chocolate all over it. Anyway enjoy the pics and let me know if you want a chocolate wrapped cake for a special occasion!


Javier's Amazing Cake Photo Shoot.

The first cake with mango puree.


I was in a hurry that day and did not crumb coat as you can see. But I figured the cake would be covered anyway.

I chose Nutella for this cake since I have a huge jar of it that someone left at one of our parties.

Big jumbo jar of Nutella!

At class, the woman next to me made a Halloween scene for her cake. It was so awesome!

One side of it.


The other graveyard side.

Other students in class making their cakes.




This is how her cakes came out. So pretty!

These were our instructor's cakes.

Another Halloween themed Spider cake. We ate this one, it was chocolate with peanut butter cream cheese. Mmmmmmm!!

My first cake. Came out pretty good!


This was my second cake.

The inside with the hazelnut filling. This cake was awesome! I will be sending them both to work with Javier tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. How pretty & looks yummy. How fun.
    Vanessa (ok, I don't know how to leave comments w/out choosing anonymous....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake was absolutely delicious!!! I totally caught the Nutella right away and I'm a big fan so nice touch! Rich and not overly sweet; the icing was like mousse and melted in my mouth, the choco-wall was thick and crunchy, and the cake was moist! I loved it! Ely, you took the Cake on this one! Literally! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks guys!! I love comments!! Yeah Marlene, I wanted to keep that flower cake at home, but after I had a slice I knew i would be too dangerous so I packed it up in Javier's car this morning. I am glad you guys were able to enjoy it!

    Vanessa, I am feeling a "special occasion" cake coming on for you! This one is a winner, Let me know if you are in need :)

    ReplyDelete