Note: I double this recipe for the Cook’s Club
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (not stone-ground)
2 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
¾ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
8 tbs. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8” square pan.
2. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Process the buttermilk, thawed corn kernels, and brown sugar in a food processor until combined, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs and continue to process until combines, about 5 more seconds.
3. Fold the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in the melted butter until just incorporated but do not overmix.
4. Scrap the batter into the greased pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and when a toothpick into the center comes out clean, about 25 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time.
5. Let the cornbread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Me: Ghirardelli Award Winning Brownies (I used the recipe from the can of cocoa)
Note: I doubled this recipe and used a 9x13” pan. Also baked for 40 minutes.
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
¾ cup Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
2/3 cup unsifted flour
¼ tsp. Baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup walnut, chopped (I omitted this)
1 cup 60% Ghirardelli Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a spoon, stir eggs, sugar, and vanilla; add melted butter. Whisk flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. The stir into the egg mixture, add the nuts and stir in the chocolate chips. Spread into a 8” or 9” square pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes. For chewy brownies, use an 8” pan and bake for less time. For cakey brownies, use a 9” pan and bake for longer time. Cut into squares and serve!
Vanessa: Pita Chips, for dipping.
Priscilla: Individual Chicken Pot Pies (It was like a little cup of heaven! I practically licked the ramekin clean).
Julia: Spicy Chili (This was spicy, chunky goodness in a bowl! And I have left overs! )