Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cook's Club: Comfort Foods

Today was our October Cook's Club meeting and I hosted this one. Our theme was "Comfort Foods" and I think we all had a hard time thinking of what to make because we love so many! My choice was of course sweets and I made Blondies, Brownies, and Cornbread to accompany the chili. I was a little busy in the morning setting up so I did not take any pics of the process of making the goods, but I do have recipes typed up to add!!! Here is what we came up with for this meeting and who brought what:


Me: Blondies (AKA Congo Bars from Bakerella Website.) I would type it out but the link is much easier!

Me: Cornbread (recipe from America's Test Kitchen Baking Book)

Northern Cornbread
Note: I double this recipe for the Cook’s Club
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (not stone-ground)
2 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
¾ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
8 tbs. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8” square pan.
2. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Process the buttermilk, thawed corn kernels, and brown sugar in a food processor until combined, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs and continue to process until combines, about 5 more seconds.
3. Fold the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in the melted butter until just incorporated but do not overmix.
4. Scrap the batter into the greased pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and when a toothpick into the center comes out clean, about 25 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time.
5. Let the cornbread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Me: Ghirardelli Award Winning Brownies (I used the recipe from the can of cocoa)

Note: I doubled this recipe and used a 9x13” pan. Also baked for 40 minutes.
2 eggs
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
¾ cup Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
2/3 cup unsifted flour
¼ tsp. Baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup walnut, chopped (I omitted this)
1 cup 60% Ghirardelli Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a spoon, stir eggs, sugar, and vanilla; add melted butter. Whisk flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. The stir into the egg mixture, add the nuts and stir in the chocolate chips. Spread into a 8” or 9” square pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes. For chewy brownies, use an 8” pan and bake for less time. For cakey brownies, use a 9” pan and bake for longer time. Cut into squares and serve!

Vanessa: Spinach Artichoke Dip (my stomach hurt from eating so much of this!)

Vanessa: Rosemary Herb Bread, for the dipping!

Vanessa: Pita Chips, for dipping.

Priscilla: Individual Chicken Pot Pies (It was like a little cup of heaven! I practically licked the ramekin clean).

Adriana: Mac and Cheese Casserole (I ate it hot, I ate it cold, I ate alot!)


Julia: Spicy Chili (This was spicy, chunky goodness in a bowl! And I have left overs! )

Vy: Garlic Shrimp Pasta (1 cup of garlic and a group full of happy women :)

Jennifer: Creamed Corn (I told Vanessa it was an "O" in my mouth, you know what I mean ;) I am trying to keep this blog PG.

Our table looking very Autumnal. (It is a word I looked it up!)

The Cook's Club.

2 comments:

  1. No way! We are featured in your blog! This is simply TOO COOL since I stalk your blog to begin with! lol! I had a wonderful time chattin' it up and gobbling it up! Everything was SO good and so comforting I was ready to pass out on your sofa! LOVE YOUR BLOG and thanks for making us a part of it! I feel special! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh you are so welcome, thanks for having me be a part of the Cook's Club! I love what we have going on :)

    ReplyDelete