Thursday, October 7, 2010

Halloween Vanilla Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Today I was in major procrastination mode. I have a few assignments due soon but what better way to spend my time than trying out a recipe for Swiss Meringue Buttercream? I also wanted to try a different vanilla cupcake recipe. I have heard many good things about Amy Sedaris' Vanilla Cupcake recipe so I Googled it and found it on Epicurious.com. It was rated 2nd best by New York Magazine, so I knew it was going to be a winner. I also have been wanting to try some new frosting recipes, I am a little bored with the traditional American Confectioner's Frosting and I have been eager and a little reluctant to venture into the world of cooked frosting, so I decided today was the day!

I started with the cupcakes which was an easy and quick recipe. So easy I think I already memorized it. They baked up beautifully, so full and round and even!! I was already a fan and man that batter tasted like heaven! The frosting recipe I got from another baking blog called How to Eat a Cupcake. I have been reading this blog for years and Cassie is full of good information. She just opened up her own bakery, so congrats to her! This recipe was easy with just 4 ingredients: sugar, egg whites, butter, and vanilla. It took a while to make this frosting but the results were amazing!!! I am a new convert to cooked frostings :) Since it is almost Halloween and since I have an ungodly amount of Halloween sprinkles these naturally became Halloween themed. I'll be sending these with Javier to work tomorrow because I have already eaten two!
Happy Halloween!


Put the sugar and egg whites in a double boiler.

Then transfer to a mixer and beat until fluffy soft peaks form.

Add the butter a few tbsp. at a time and then the vanilla until it starts to get thick, this is where the time and patience comes in handy.

The perfect little cakes.

I had to add another pic, so pretty!


All piped and ready for sprinkles.

So pretty!!!

Time for their close-up! I bought this cute little dessert display dish at Crate and Barrel last weekend, I love it!!


Mmmmmmm, devouring one . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment