Saturday, October 23, 2010

God Bless, Lucas

I can't believe I have not had a chance to post this cake until now, almost a week later. You know before when I said I was always busy? Well this week took the cake, haha, get it? Ok I know I am lame in these late hours, but man this week was incredibly crazy!! My life has completely changed. I don't know if I mentioned this before (my mind is also failing me these days) but a couple of weeks ago I had two job interviews for teaching, and a library job offer in one day! The library one was part time and interfered with my cake classes so I emailed back but never heard from the company, oh well. The two job interviews went well, I thought my Val Verde one was a sure shot. The Bassett one was good too, but the interviewee that was after me had so much experience so I thought for sure he was going to get the job. Anyway, after a few days, no calls. I thought that it was ok, I would just continue doing what I was anyway. Then on Tuesday Bassett called and offered me the 4/5 combo class. I was pretty nervous and shocked. But I accepted. So since then my week has been a whirlwind of wrapping up my time at VV and beginning at my new school. Oh and I started my fondant class too this week, more on that later.

Anyway, (that was a long story, sorry) back to Lucas. My friend Jennifer from the Cook's Club, had her baby son, Lucas, baptized on Sunday. She wanted a half chocolate and half white cake with fresh strawberry filling and a swiss meringue buttercream frosting. I also decided to cover it in fondant to make it easier to apply the ribbon she requested. It was a 14" cake, but I made the layers pretty thick so rolling out the fondant was a workout that left me not needing to go to the gym for about a week! The fondant had to be rolled out to 25"! So tiring and with the weather being so wet and rainy, my fondant was not a friend that day. But I did it and was able to deliver all 50 lbs. of that cake in time. Here is the final result. She also wanted the design to replicate the invite for the baptism, so I enlarged an image of it and traced it out in black fondant. I liked how the rosary looked, just like the invitation. I was really glad to be able to do this cake. Especially since I now need to take a baking break until after the holidays since I am both working and going to school full time now. Plus learning two new curriculums, a new school, and district. Thanks to Jennifer and her family for allowing me to take part in Lucas' special day.

God Bless Lucas.


No comments:

Post a Comment